Should you/your organization have Narcan on hand?
What is Narcan?
Narcan, also called Naloxone, is an easy-to-use, lifesaving antidote used to treat opioid and heroin overdoses. Used in hospitals for decades, the medication has no abuse potential, no harmful side effects and can be administered with basic training.
1. Roughly 116 people die every day from an opioid/heroin overdose
2. Narcan or Naloxone can reverse that overdose and save a life
3. Narcan ONLY treats an opioid/heroin overdose
This means that if administered to someone who has not overdosed on opioids or heroin, NOTHING will happen.
4. There is zero risk and liability associated with having and administering naloxone
HAMSA is providing Narcan in the nasal spray form, no needles. Now hold on, we are about to get a little legal on you…Thanks to a Standing Order in the state of GA a prescription is not required to obtain or possess Narcan. Additionally, House Bill 965 passed in 2014, removes civil and criminal liability for lay administration. In other words, this bill allows anyone to administer Narcan in good faith without facing any kind of repercussions.
5. Training is free
Check out http://www.getnaloxonenow.org/signup.aspx for a free online training option, or call us (1-833-HAMSA-HELPS) to find out about any community trainings we offer in the future.
6. Georgia has the 11th most opioid-related overdose deaths in the country
This is not college football folks, let’s work on dropping that rating.
7. HAMSA will give you Narcan at no cost
That’s right! We have Narcan and want it in the community. Contact us to get yours, we have limited quantities.
8. The Surgeon General says you should…
As of this year, JF&CS Atlanta requires employees to take Narcan training and has it in the building. We want to be a part of the solution, if you’d like to do the same at your organization contact us.